Classes have begun! After a small snafu involving my Africana Womanism English course (i.e. the professor didn’t come to class…at all?), I’m genuinely thrilled with the course load I’m taking (three journalism classes, yeah!). My sister also began her first week at college, which is equally surreal.
Who let me become a junior?
- This article about learning another language (French) is beautifully nuanced with racial commentary and what exactly a higher education represents in America today. Very complicated, very interesting read, if you have the time to spare.
- I have a book of love letters at home on my desk, but this piece about love letters from a couple between London and Lodz, Poland, really struck me. Being in an LDR, writing letters is a really nice way to connect with someone in a slightly different setting (it’s also just nice to write your friends letters!).
- Thoughtful piece about how Travel + Leisure magazine just hired a man with a background in marketing (advertising/branded content, specifically) as their EIC, not anyone with editorial experience. Fashionista asks if this is the start of a new kind of EIC for the print magazine world…I wonder…
- I JUST LOVE LONGREADS OKAY. Italian scientists are convicted of manslaughter after an earthquake killed just under 300 people and injured thousands in an Italian town. What could this case mean in the scientific community?
- The G(irls) 20 Summit is a conference dedicated to international women’s issues brought to the table by passionate young women (one of whom is my age!) who want those same issues addressed at the G20 summit. I love this Washington Post article about one of the G(irls) 20 Summit’s spearheading forces.
- Love this post about filtering out reality and changing how your life looks online.
Also, my friend Elise (there’s a lot of us on this campus) is posting again!! I love expeditionsofelise.com because she’s got the best eye for food, especially food created in a *dorm* which is insanely difficult (speaking from experience). I love reading Elise’s running recaps too; she makes me want to get out and get moving!
P.S. The revamped “Cosmos” series with Neil deGrasse Tyson is a new obsession of mine on Netflix. As a little girl who watched all the space shuttle launches with her father on the couch, I couldn’t be happier to turn on an episode and learn something completely new about the universe.
Okay phew, now I’m done!